Carnival Cruise Lines is eliminating its fuel surcharge of $9 per person, per day on its major brands, including Princess and Holland America. But it should be noted that …
- this takes effect in 2010 on cruises booked after Oct. 31, 2008
- it’s accompanied by fare increases
- the surcharge can be reinstated at any time
- passengers on 2008 and 2009 cruises can get their fuel surcharges refunded — if oil falls below $70 a barrel.
- the announcement was made the day light sweet crude jumped back up over $80 per barrel
Still, this is what passes for good news in the travel industry these days.